How to obtain a permit from the UNRMWA for an On-Site Sewerage Facility
Fee: $150.00 residential
Note: A Reinspection Fee Equal to one half of the permit application fee
shall be assessed to the installer of record each time a reinspection is
Minimum lot size: 1/2 acre without well; one acre with well (contact Water Authority concerning lots that do
not meet this criteria, but were platted prior to January 1, 1988).
- Request/obtain application from UNRMWA
- Have site evaluation performed by registered sanitarian, professional engineer or licensed site
- If aerobic system, design plan must be performed by registered sanitarian or professional engineer.
- Submit completed application with site evaluation, design plan, fee and if aerobic, certified copy of
Certification of OSSF Requiring Maintenance* and Maintenance Contract**.
- Application and technical data will be reviewed by UNRMWA for completeness.
- UNRMWA representative will perform pre-construction inspection.
- Upon completion of a pre-construction inspection, wherein the site is found suitable for installation
as designed, applicant will be authorized to begin construction. A letter of authorization will be
forwarded to the owner and installer via U.S. Mail.
- Begin construction. If construction performed by other than system owner, that person must hold a
valid Texas Installer Certificate.
- A final inspection of the installation is required before covering of the system. The installer must be
present for the final inspection, and he must operate the system to demonstrate compliance prior to
cover. A one (1) working day notice in advance of inspection is desired.
- Following completion and a successful inspection, a Notice of Approval and Permit to Operate will
be issued to the applicant within five (5) working days.
* Certain types of systems require a Certification of OSSF Requiring Maintenance. Prior to pre-construction
inspection, a completed Certification of OSSF Requiring Maintenance form must be filed in county clerk's
office of the county where the property is located. A certified copy of the recorded document must be
submitted to the Authority.
** Certain types of systems require a Maintenance Contract. A copy of a signed maintenance contract shall be
provided by the owner to the permitting authority before the authorization to construct is issued. The initial
written maintenance contract shall be effective for at least two years from the date the OSSF is first used. The
OSSF shall be maintained and tested by the maintenance company holding the maintenance contract. The OSSF
maintenance contract shall, at a minimum:
Download printable copy of How to Obtain a Permit for On Site Sewerage Facility
- list items that are covered by the contract;
- specify a time frame in which the maintenance company will visit the property in response to a
complaint by the property owner regarding the operation of the system;
- specify the name of the individual employed by the maintenance company who is certified by the
manufacturer of the system;
- identify the frequency of routine maintenance and the frequency of the required testing and reporting;
- identify who is responsible for maintaining the disinfection unit.